CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Chicken Pot Pie

One of our favorite meals for a good winter day (and yes, it's still winter here in Newfoundland!) is Chicken Pot Pie. Now, we call it pot pie, but it's more like a chicken stew. I used to bake it in the oven with pastry over the top, but now I just make it in the crock pot and I make biscuits on the side. We all LOVE it!


CHICKEN POT PIE

3 chicken breasts (I use boneless, skinless)
1 onion
4-5 carrots, sliced
1 small turnip, cubed
3-4 medium-sized potatoes, cubed
3 sticks of celery, chopped
1/4 cup chopped red or yellow pepper
1 cup chopped broccoli
1 cup chopped cauliflower
1 can kernel corn
2 cans of Cream of Chicken soup
1 can Chicken Broth


Boil the chicken breasts in large pot. Save the liquid. Remove and cut into cubes. Put back into pot and add chopped onion. Bring to boil again. Next, add in carrots, turnip and potatoes. Boil for about 10 minutes.

Put the Cream of Chicken soup and the Chicken Broth in large crock pot. Add celery, red pepper, broccoli, cauliflower and corn. Add in chicken, vegetable and the liquid. Stir and set on high for 3 hours.

In last half hour you'll need to thicken it. I use about 4 Tbsp of cornstarch in 1 cup of cold water. Mix well, then stir into soup.

Serve with hot biscuits.

**NOTE: This makes enough for a large crock pot and is enough for 2 meals for our family of 6. Like most soups/stews, it always tastes better the next day :-)

You can add other vegetables or increase/decrease the amounts to your liking. I just try to put the "harder" veggies in the pot to boil a bit before adding to the crock pot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here's a biscuit recipe. I got this one from my mother-in-law.

Lonna's Biscuits

2 cups flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup butter or shortening
3/4 cup milk

Mix first 3 ingredients, then cut in butter with pastry blender. Add milk and mix. Knead on lightly floured board. Handle it gently and knead about 15 times. The more you handle it, the tougher the biscuits will be, but don't worry, we haven't had one we couldn't eat :-) Pat or roll to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut with cookie cutter and bake at 450 deg. for 8-10 minutes.
If you make this recipe, I'd love to hear what you think of it!

3 comments:

Jacqueline said...

Sounds yummy!

Ali said...

YUM!! I like this idea for making it in the CP. I made a Chicken veg soup in CP today- biscuits are planned to go along with it! LMBO~That's so funny! My biscuit recipe is identical to yours! It's Mom's.

Enjoy your yummy supper Carla!

Larissa Heskett said...

THANKS for sharing this Yummy recipe!! =) I found you from your sisters blog and I can't wait to try this~~my 5 yr. old will have fun helping me make this!! Have a FABULOUS WEEKEND!! =)