CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, August 18, 2008

Pea Soup and Doughboys

I'm making a pot of Pea Soup and thought I might as well pot it on my blog -- since it's been QUITE a while since I posted a recipe, I think :-)

PEA SOUP

1 cup salt beef (diced) OR ham
2 cups yellow, split peas
1 onion
turnip
carrot
celery
2-3 potatoes
salt/pepper

Soak the peas overnight in cold water. Drain and rinse peas. Add to large pot with diced meat, onion and 8 cups cold water.

Bring to a boil and then simmer about 2 hours. You can add more water if needed.

Add about 2 cups diced turnip, 2 cups diced carrots and 1 cup chopped celery. Chop 2-3 potatoes and add those as well. Cook until veggies are tender.

I always add a couple of bay leaves to my pot of soup. Adds a nice tastes, I think :-)

DOUGH BOYS

I will add the recipe for dough boys, though I have to say -- I have never been able to cook these as well as my grandmothers have ever done! They make the best!

1 1/2 cups flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup water or milk

Combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Add enough water (or milk) to form a soft dough.

Drop by tablespoons into hot soup. Cover pot tightly and simmer, without removing the lid, for 15 minutes.

I think my problem is I open the lid to check :-)

ENJOY!

No comments: